Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Advice to myself

I've always wanted to write one of those letters to my past self with advice. Or maybe even one to my kids for when they're older and have lived life a little. Maybe I'll do both. But for today, I am going to write a letter to me.

Dear Self,

I just wanted to give you a quick reflection on things we've done to get to where I am now. You're going to make SO many mistakes along the way. But, you're going to learn from them. They're going to make you who I am today. You're going to remain kind, humane, funny, smart, sometimes-ditsy, a great mom, unselfish, sassy, sarcastic and so much more. All of these traits will shine through as you get older. Realize that it will take you many years to overcome your introverted and shy ways. Life's up and downs will bring you out of your shell. You will still care about what anyone thinks about what you say/wear/do, but you'll never show it. It doesn't mean you don't consider it or think about it. Life has taught me at this point that you DO only live once...but if you do it right, that's enough.

Keep putting your kids first. No matter what anyone says or does. Including him. Yep, he will mess up big time and put a huge tilt-a-whirl spin on your world. It's going to be difficult and heart-breaking and A LOT of work to get past it. BUT, you will do it. And you will question why you never did it sooner. Another life lesson, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. There will be other obstacles that will pop up along the way. But they're not anything you can't get through. Lean on your family! Call your friends. Talk about it. Learn to share what you're feeling and stop bottling it all up!

You should start writing more often and sooner. Keep reading and fill your mind with knowledge. There's so much cool stuff to learn about. Be more inquisitive. Ask questions. Continue to be a good listener and give honest and sound advice. This will keep your friends loyal and legit.

You're going to find love again. You won't be prepared for it to hit you. It's going to come out of nowhere and its going to make you SO happy. You're gonna realize that what you had before was young and naive love...this go around is the REAL deal. It is soul-binding and you'll never imagine who, when, where or how. But when you're surprised at it, just go with it and have fun! Be loved and love with all you got!

All three of your kids are different. You know this. There's not a whole lot I can tell you since you're going to have to go through it with them. But, know they're going to be okay. Continue to channel your inner "southern bell" and provide all of your "other kids" with food, love and laughter. It's what you do.

Just keep doing what you're doing. I am still on the way to getting to where I want to be. I still have goals that I am working on. But this time I have a partner who shares them with me and we're working on them together. So...don't worry, be happy.

Love Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment