Memorial Day. This day, every year, makes me stop and think. Even if just for a moment. Yup, about to get sappy for a sec...
I think over the decades, some people have lost sight of what this day is all about. So, I am just going to take a minute or two to release my thoughts about it.
I (as many other Americans) have always become caught up in the "rush" of yet another holiday weekend. Another reason to haul out the grill and get some grub on. I realize that may come off as some sort of cliched excuse to party. But, more realistically, it solidifies the way we Americans do. When we are happy, we celebrate and eat. When we're sad, we mourn and eat. Funerals are always completed with food. It comforts us Americans. I don't care what others think about that. It's the way I was raised (could also be because I'm a southerner and we love to feed people). But, yes in fact, when a holiday weekend falls upon us, we cook, eat and enjoy company. Even under heartfelt traditions.
Memorial Day IS about those who have served our country and lost their lives. Memorial Day IS about our freedom that we ALL take for granted in everyday life. No country is perfect, even ours. America has been through some tough shit and it's probably never going to end. Especially with our political system. That topic, though, is for another vent session. My point is, Memorial Day IS about Patriotism. Many Americans are NOT proud of our country. Many complain everyday about the wrongful actions our country has taken. But, NO country is perfect and never will be. This world is not perfect. Humans are not perfect. But, our Troops, Service Men and Women, Veterans that are currently serving or have sacrificed their lives for our "Great Country" will not be held in vain in my eyes. Every time the thought crosses my mind, I remember what they have given for me. And for you. And for our children. Aside from all the wrong that is going on right now...we should not forget them. We don't have to "celebrate". But, it is most definitely acceptable to give them just a moment. A Day. Something. So, we never forget that no matter what, that they gave their lives to give us the freedom we have. Again, many people will argue with the definition of "freedom" or how it's carried out through the actions of our government. Regardless of all that. Put your opinions of "all that" aside for a minute and remember. They have paid the price of their lives...some old, some young, some in between...so that we don't have it as bad as it could be. We don't live in a "great" world full of perfect days with no deaths, no drama, no trauma. BUT, we can give thanks to those that have placed themselves between us and those battles. I know I would be scared shitless to do such a thing. I would never have the courage to put myself on the line for an entire nation. That is a huge thing. That is an immeasurable sacrifice. And I thank them everyday for MY freedom. I thank them especially on this day for my family's freedom. I'm not a high-society woman living large and carefree. I'm not living on welfare struggling. I am in the life that was handed to me. I'm an American, blue-collar, dealing with everyday bullshit, struggles but also with the freedom to have kids, a house, a family. I'm an American who has friends and people who care about each other. And...the damned ability to on occasion go for a simple outing. In certain countries, I wouldn't have that luxury. In certain countries, it's ordained what you are permitted to do. Where you can go. Who you can associate with. I'm glad to have some liberty in my life. And I thank those who have given me that right. You will be missed. You will be remembered. You will NOT be forgotten. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment