You know...people are damn funny. They give funny looks, funny mannerisms, funny responses. Maybe my version of funny is different though. I don't mean funny ha-ha...but maybe odd is a better description? I don't know. I have always been more of an introvert. A thinker. I don't talk much unless I think there's something worth saying or a conversation to contribute to. I am a people watcher and love to observe things. Lots of people talk and talk and talk...and that's cool. Just not my thing (with the exception of alcohol of course, because that just makes EVERYONE talk).
That being said, you tend to notice many actions or simple gestures that other people may not catch. I think eye contact is the worst one of them all. It's either a stare down of who will break eye contact first. The classic alpha move. It can be intimidating and it bothers me personally because it raises my hackles so to speak. And like clockwork, my defense mechanisms kick in and it makes me bitchy. The classic "eye staring". I don't care if I'm at the mall, an amusement park, a store or just basically any public place with big crowds. I ALWAYS catch people staring at me and/or my kids. I have always had this issue. I don't get what their deal is. There's no a booger on my face. It's typically while I'm in quiet mode, so it can't be that I was projecting verbally. But this staring is so rude...they even continue to stare and turn their head to accommodate the said staring as they have already walked by. Am I a freak and they are totally shocked? Glamorously beautiful? So unique they want to bottle me up and put me on display for the world to see? I don't get it. I have always observed this since I was a teenager and have never understood it. I can now say that it has probably fueled the introversion, as so much unwanted eye attention has given me a complex. And I don't mean a good one. It's more like, now I am always looking for people doing it. As a protective coating, so to speak.
But, I think the "funny" comes in to play more or less at work. You get up every morning and motivate yourself to go to work and come in (majority of the time) with a good attitude. You speak pleasantly and smile to your customers because they want to enjoy their experience while buying their wares. Then you got the people who are straight up jacked. I mean, how do you live with yourself treating people the way you do? You walk in the door with an attitude then take all your issues out on the workers. I'm sorry someone pissed in your cheerios this morning, but your demeanor is uncalled for. Those unfortunate to deal with this more often than not, are usually in retail or a public service employer. These are the tough jobs...mentally. They can age you as quickly as labor jobs. You weren't raised in a barn (most of you anyway) so treat people better. You've only got one shot at this life. Stop being that person that is fickle. Be the person that is kind and funny in a ha-ha way. I try to do it every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment