Every year for Christmas, yes, I said it...the "C" word! I create something "homemade" for close friends and neighbors. One of the projects I decided to try my hand at was vanilla, a few years ago.
After tons of internet research, reviews and feedback, I decided to go for it. After all, I do work in a baker's haven and had just about everything at the ready. So, I made little 5 ounce bottles and printed my own label tags. Here's the info:
slit the vanilla bean "grade a" down the middle to expose the innards. you don't have to cut it entirely in half...just enough to open it up. drop the bean into the bottle. add the highest proof (quality is up to you, I went mid-grade). Place the screw cap on the bottle as tight as possible. I made these in December and put a "do not open until Valentine's Day 2017" label on it. I also included instructions, that once the bottle is down to 1/3 of the bottle, you can replenish with fresh vodka up to 7 years. It's a 7-year-itch bottle....or vanilla extract aged in dog years??? I don't know, but that jank is GOOD!
I added a decorative and spill-proof feature: shrink capsules. Same ones you put on wine bottles, just dip in boiling water after you place it over and down the neck of the bottle.
I will post a picture later when I get the chance...they came out pretty cute and it's at least something you know people will use. Even the friends who NEVER bake...you can use this in your coffee...just sayin'.
No comments:
Post a Comment